2009-01-14

Divine apple pie

Since I got pregnant I am reading a forum for Supermoms in Lithuania. One Supermom Sonatina posts many recipes and many other moms commend some of them. So I decided to try one of them. An apple pie with cottage cheese and almond flakes.
But as always I did not follow the recipe entirely. Took it only as a guidelines. So ready steady go!

For the bottom pastry I used:
300 ml wheat flour, pinch of salt, 90 g cream cheese, 50 g butter, some drops of vanilla and bitter almond essence, 120 ml brown sugar, 80 ml minced almond

For the filling I used:
400 g cream cheese, 110 ml brown sugar, 1 egg, pinch of salt, 2 tea spoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the top pastry I used:
2 table spoons wheat flour, 4 table spoons brown sugar, a few drops of water, pat of cream cheese

And of course one need apples for an apple pie :) I used only 2 big apples, but it's up to you to use more. I also added 1 pear.

Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add brown sugar and essences. After a few minutes creaming add flour, salt and minced almonds. I did everything with a spoon, but probably it works well with the food processor also. The pastry does not have to be solid.



Separate 2/3 of the pastry and distribute it evenly in the cake tin.


Bake in 180º C for 12-15 min (depends on the oven). While baking, prepare the top pastry. Use 1/3 of the bottom pastry. Add flour and brown sugar. As pastry became like sand, so I added a few drops of water and a pat of cream cheese to get the crumbs.

Then prepare the filling - cream together cheese cream and brown sugar, add egg, salt and lemon juice. Stir well.
Peel the apples and the pear. In original recipe 0,5 kg apples are used. I was ready to peal 2 apples and 2 pears , but while peeling decided it will be enough only with 1 pear.
Cover the bottom pastry with apple/pear slices. Cover with the filling. Spread crumbs on the filling and sift almond flakes.



Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 min. The original recipe says to bake for 45-50 min, however I made one such cake on Tuesday and one Wednesday, baking the first for 48 min and the second one for 36 min. The first one became much brown and quite hard. The second pie was goldish yellow and soft. I liked the soft version more.
When the pie is ready, leave it in the cake tin for 30 min to cool. Cut it only when totally cool.
Vanilla ice cream or natural yogurt suits well to this pie.

Tuesday's pie
Wednesday's pie


No comments:

Post a Comment